Contact us - email@example.com
Coltness Car Club was originally
formed in 1954. In the 50s and 60s, the club specialised in road
rallies, and in the later 70s and early 80s introduced a special
stage event 'The Coltness Stages' utilising farm roads, private
forest roads and quarries in Lanarkshire. Sadly, the fast
developing rural landscape gradually reduced the available
venues till there was nothing left.
then achieved UK-wide acclaim when it introduced the longest
hillclimb course in the country at Strathclyde Park. The Park
authorities saw this as great publicity for what was then a
little known facility and so they did everything possible assist
in the running of the event, including allowing us to install
additional barriers. For almost ten years, hillclimbers from all
over the UK flocked to Lanarkshire for the 1 mile thrash through
the public park. And therein lay the cause of its final demise.
In 1990 new public liability laws were introduced, and because
of the layout of the park it was not possible to guarantee
compliance, so the MSA permit was withdrawn. The club therefore
had no option but to cease hillcliming at this super venue and
In 1994 ( After trying to run an
event in 1993 but being thwarted by non motorsport believers!)
Coltness Car Club took over the running of the Old Border
Counties Rally, a counter in the national Scottish Rally
Championship. Thus was born the Colin McRae Forest Stages rally.
Happiness was restored and reigned again, the Bears were back in
their spiritual home - the woods!